Wednesday, October 18, 2006

INGLES

LESSON ONE

Common verbs followed by infinitives

GROUP A: VERB + INFINITIVE

hope promise seem ask

plan agree appear expect

intend offer pretend would like

decide refuse want need

GROUP B: VERB + (PRO)NOUN + INFINITIVE

tell invite require ask

advise permit order expect

encourage allow force would like

remind warn want need

EXAMPLE:

I hope to see you soon.

He promised to be here by ten.

Mr. Lee told me to be here at ten.

The police ordered the driver to stop.

I expect to pass the test.

I expected Mary to pass the test.

DIALOGUE

A: Would you like me to help you with that, Paulo?

B: Yep, I need someone to help me with this questionnaire.

A: I can’t refuse to give you a hand.

B: I asked the library to bring a book, but they didn’t get yet.

A: What is the work about?

B: What do you know about John Dalton?

A: The English chemist? What do you want to know?

B: I need you to tell me about his life.

A: Well, he was born in a small village in Cumberland.

B: Where is that?

A: In England. I’m not sure of his date of birth. But, it was told that it was September 5th, 1766.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home